Lurking in the Forest

Started by Vincent Matthews at May 30, 2020 11:04 am
59 Posts

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Slander is worse than cannibalism.

"Maybe we should write a book." Vince suggested, more to himself than to Bryce. It was a joke, of course, but in actual fact there was bound to be a time things changed again, whether for better or worse. And future generations would be interested in how things happened. Maybe they should make a Bosler scrapbook or something. The more he thought about it, the less ridiculous it sounded.

"Oh no, I can't do that. I'd lose my balance and fall over." He gave a dramatic sigh. "Goodness, it's hard work being so unbelievably tall..." The squint faded, replaced by a cheeky grin. "Yeah, you make a good point. I'll give you dibs on whatever you want from the buck." He hopped down off the rock. "But don't tell anybody. I don't want them thinking I've got favourites or anything." He gave Bryce a wink, then nodded. There was bound to be a couple squirrels or something on the way back. Heck, even some wild fowl would be good. A chicken would be better, though. A whole damn chicken. "So many ladies. I hardly have time to myself anymore." He shook his head, then laughed. "I barely even know how to talk to women, Christ." He shifted his bag and crossbow again, getting a better grip on both. "Shall we?" He gestured back towards Bosler.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Back from the dead to tell you that I'm alive. Killed the old way but I survived.

"Can you even write? Cause I sure as fuck can't!" Bryce laughed. These days, there was no shame in admitting to illiteracy really. There were more important things to worry about than all that fancy pants academic stuff, like, y'know... Surviving...

"Oh, it looks it!" he agreed with a grin, far too amused by Vince right now. The offer had his eyes lighting up, and he simply exclaimed "Brain!" as that perpetually hungry part of him took control for a split second before he came back to himself. "Gimmie the head, and I'll bring back the skull or antlers or whatever if you want," he added on far more calmly. "Can't promise there won't be teeth marks in it though..." He knew some people collected animal skulls and antlers, and they could be a good trade to the right person so he didn't want to take that away from Vince. He laughed when he brought up talking to women. "The secret is alcohol... Lots of it..." He stuffed his slingshot back into his pocket, gave one last glance around to ensure they weren't forgetting anything, and nodded. "Ladies first!" It was probably smarter to let Vince lead the way, given the sun was getting ready to set. That way, he had a head start, just in case.

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

"I can, as it goes!" Vince chuckled. His handwriting left something to be desired, but he could write quite a lot if given the opportunity. He'd kept journals for a while in the beginning, but fell out of the habit after a few years. It just didn't seem worth it back then. Maybe he would start doing it again.

He laughed again when Bryce responded so fast and so enthusiastically, then nodded. "Brain it is." He, personally, wasn't all that fond of the brain. Bryce wasn't likely to be stewing or seasoning it, but still. It never had any appeal to him. That and eating brains from certain animals wasn't worth the risk associated with it. "Skull and antlers would be great. Teeth marks aren't a problem." He chuckled some more. He did trade off the better ones to people, but he'd amassed a fair collection of skulls by that point. The only one he was missing that he really wanted was an impressive buck skull, and the one he'd killed today was a perfect specimen. "Alcohol?!" He laughed, shaking his head. "Funnily enough, that one works on men, too..." He bowed at Bryce before sashaying off through the trees back towards Bosler.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Back from the dead to tell you that I'm alive. Killed the old way but I survived.

"Fuckin' nerd!" Bryce teased, playfully nudging him with a shoulder. 

When Vince said he could have the brains, he couldn't help but cheer a little. "Its the tastiest part, y'know. Nice and tender too... Long as you don't cook it anyway... Oh, and I'll clean it too, of course." Cooking the entrails the Avarus were brought simply didn't occur to most of them, honestly. Getting sick from it wasn't exactly an issue, and cooking things just took too long when it was sitting right there in front of you. He laughed softly at the alcohol thing, and nodded. "Lord knows I've gotten myself into some trouble off'a moonshine before, so I believe it! Betcha you get pretty wild after a few drinks, huh big guy?" He hadn't quite figured out who to talk to about it yet, aside from sending Ryan off to find it, but he was well aware that there was both wine and moonshine flowing pretty freely through Bosler. Well, if all of the miserable-looking people first thing in the morning was anything to go off of...

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Vince laughed as he was nudged. Yes, he was a fucking nerd. 

He made a face as Bryce went on about the brain. "I'll take your word for it, bud." He shook his head again. "Hey, if you want, I can just get it all out for you. Save you the work?" He didn't really have any plans for the rest of the night, so cleaning a deer skull could potentially be his evening's entertainment. As for drinking... "Oh, man. That fucking moonshine we've got damn near kills me every time." He had a few fond memories that came about after drinking in the middle of the day. One of his least favourite being some rather severe sunstroke and sunburn. "I've gotten a little slutty once or twice." He admitted, not too abashedly. "Nothing really beats a drink and a long chat around the campfire, though. And...well..." He shrugged, trailing off. There weren't many people he wanted to have long chats around the campfire with. "Most people avoid even me after dark, you know."

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

"Sorry, got excited," he chuckled softly. "It is good sliced thin and fried up with some grease and mint though, too. If you're ever curious... And that's up to you, honestly. I don't mind doing it, but if you wanna do it, go nuts. Probably end up with less gnaw marks that way... Just... don't be surprised if I come sniffin' 'round for the scraps later." It probably wouldn't be the first or last time Vince had an Avarus hanging around his little skinning shack, and there were even rumors floating around about someone getting inside it one night and quite literally eating the blood-soaked dirt. Okay, maybe it wasn't a rumor, and maybe it was him, but he'd deny it until the day he died, damn it! "Yeah? Huh... Ryan must be watering down the shit he gives me, or he's getting ripped off cause its not that strong," he replied with a shrug. The fact that his best friend did have a bit of a problem with booze hung in the back of his mind, but he tried to ignore it for now, and simply chuckled instead. "But you? Slutty once or twice? Vince, what the hell, man? You filthy whore! I thought I was special!" He even added on a big fake sniffle before he couldn't hold a straight face any more and burst into laughter. "Shit, I'd sit around the fire with ya, but y'know... Fuck that shit!" Fire plus Avarus was not a good mix, and would send all but the absolute most desperately hungry of his kind running at even the smallest flame. All the cool superpowers in the world, but he could be thwarted by a fucking tealight. Now that's irony for ya...

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Vince didn't quite have the heart to tell Bryce to be quiet talking about brain so much, but he couldn't really hide the slightly queasy look on his face. It made him a massive hypocrite, he knew, but it couldn't be helped. "It'll give me something to do." He finally admitted. His social life wasn't exactly exploding with potential, so he liked to distract him from that fact. He then chuckled. "I get scolded every week for leaving little snacks for you guys outside my shack, you know. But now you mention it...someone managed to get inside, and it was so bizarre." He remembered it clearly. "There were all these little holes in the dirt in there. Most people wouldn't notice them, but I did. It was really weird." Did it bother him? Not in the slightest. "But it saved me the job of cleaning the floor that day, so I don't care." He chuckled. "Maybe we have different suppliers." Or maybe he had a lower tolerance for alcohol than he thought. He laughed and bowed a little. "Yes! I can't help myself, Bryce. I have needs!" He loved how easy it was to mess around with Bryce like that. Some of the other guys in the camp were so scared of being judged they acted like cavemen. And by some, Vince was absolutely referring to one person in particular. "Yeah, bud, I know." He stopped walking for a moment to give Bryce a sympathetic squeeze of his arm, then looked off into the distance with an eager expression on his face. "Squirrel." He lowered his voice and pointed off through some branches. He knew Bryce would be able to spot it with ease.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Vince didn't need to say a word about the brains, the look on his face giving it away and prompting a guilty expression from Bryce. "All yours then," he shrugged. Simple as that. As much as he would've been happy with all the little bonus bits, he wasn't going to argue. Especially when Vince was already being kind enough to give him the part he really wanted in the first place. Plus, there was a chance of some other asshole trying to take it from him, and that wouldn't have ended well... "Oh! Uhm... Maybe someone got hungry, and there was some blood in the dirt? Wouldn't be the weirdest thing to have happened." He tried to play it cool, but there was a distinct memory of waking up one morning, face and hands crusty with a mix of blood and dirt. Yeaaaaah. He simply shrugged at the supplier thing, clearly unsure. He'd never bothered to ask Ryan where he got his stuff from, honestly. "I'm hurt, Vince! Wounded, even!" He feigned an upset expression for a moment, eventually shaking his head a little at the arm squeeze. "Ah well... Is what it is." No point in crying over things you couldn't change, right?

The word had his head snapping over to look in the same direction Vince was, already pulling out his weapon. As soon as he spotted the critter, he was drawing back the sling and taking aim. A soft twang of elastic sent the small sharpened bit of metal sailing towards the target, landing its mark a second later with a low squeak from the animal before it dropped, limp. "Gotcha!" he hissed with a celebratory fist pump, stepping over to scoop up the carcass and retrieve his projectile from its head. "Three more to go!" He grinned as he brought the squirrel back over to Vince. 

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

"Cheers." Vince felt a little guilty, but if it got Bryce to stop talking about eating brains he was more relieved than anything. For someone who willingly and gleefully ate parts from other human beings, he sure had some weird things to get squicky about. He laughed at Bryce's little story and wondered how long he should take it before admitting he knew exactly who it had been who'd eaten the blood soaked dirt of his shack. Then again, the unspoken rule between friends applied in that situation; they both knew who it was, so why bother bringing it up? "I was hoping you wouldn't find out." He added, keeping his tone sympathetic. 

Vince watched as Bryce readied and set up his slingshot, his face lighting up into a massive grin when he heard the little squeak. "Nice shot!" He loved watching other people hunt. It was an excellent learning opportunity if anything else. "I can't imagine they'll be that difficult to get. One squirrel goes down and all the others come out to take a look." They weren't the smartest of creatures. Sure, they all scarpered at the first sign of trouble, but they all gathered eventually to see what was going on. And, sure enough, not even a full minute went by before a little grey face appeared in the trees.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Bryce couldn't hide a little smile at the praise. "Thanks! Been practicing, actually." Mostly with rocks and old tin cans, but he'd been known to take potshots at his friends feet once in a while too, just for the sheer amusement of it. Watching people, especially Ryan, panic and try and run away was always hilarious. "Cause squirrels are fuckin' dumb, and dunno what's good for 'em. I fed me 'n' Ryan for nearly a month on a handful of peanuts, and a rock propped up on a twig 'cause the little fuckers don't learn." That had been a scary time for them both, stuck in the middle of Nevada with basically no food aside from the squirrels for miles. He just tried not to think of it too much now. It was well in the past...

He spotted the furry little bastard, and was once again lining up the shot. This one went down just as easily as the last, and it didn't take long for its friends to appear as well. He happily carried out his tree rodent genocide until there was nothing left in his pockets to fire. There was a distinct grin on his face when he finally lowered the weapon and turned to Vince with a grin. "Howsat?" he called out, quite pleased with himself, and set to work gathering the results of his effort. "I'll even let ya take credit for 'em all! 'Cept this one..." He held up a particularly chunky squirrel, eyeing it hungrily for a moment before glancing over at his friend. "Erm... Don't look..." Night was coming, and he could feel the hunger beginning to set in. If Vince had any hope of getting back to camp before he caught up to him, it laid with what was likely to be a messy snack... And with that, he sank its teeth into the little creature's belly with a low growl...