Lurking in the Forest

Started by Vincent Matthews at May 30, 2020 11:04 am
59 Posts

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Slander is worse than cannibalism.

Vince smiled at Bryce. He was a precious little thing, for the most part. Sure, he'd spend half of his life running around like a mindless killing machine, but when he had control of his faculties, he could be such a sweetheart. "Yes, Bryce. Movies with boobs." He could only imagine what was on those DVDs himself. The human mind was a depraved place at the best of times, and if straight men thought about women in the same ways he sometimes thought about other men, then those DVDs would surely be a sight to behold. "How do they work? Bryce!" He laughed. "I don't know! For all I know, DVD players had little men inside them!"

He sighed, then did a double take at the other. He must've looked pretty strange standing there like that, staring off into the distance like a war widow. "Sorry. I'm sorry. I just..." He sighed again, but laughed. "I have some unresolved childhood trauma - like most people around here do, I'm sure - but um...well, mine tends to manifest itself in...unconventional ways. Like..." He waved a hand back in the direction of the deer. "...like not being able to take a mother away from her children cause mine didn't want me and...y'know..." He cleared his throat, then hitched up his trousers. He couldn't very well bring up the fact that he killed and ate other people. Bryce may have been an Avarus, but Vince was pretty damn sure he would consider Vince doing it a little weird. Weird enough to tell someone about it, maybe. "We should get some squirrels." He picked up is bag and crossbow again.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Back from the dead to tell you that I'm alive. Killed the old way but I survived.

Bryce couldn't hide the massive grin that overtook his face at the thought of that. "That sounds awesome!" No doubt he was envisioning something far more magical than what the disks likely contained, but he could still dream, damn it! The grin turned into a little bit of a pout at that, though he wasn't upset with Vince for it. "Well, you were talking like you knew! Pfft! Some smart guy you are!" Of course, it was said with that friendly sort of playfulness he was known for. He did legitimately respect Vince's smarts, and wasn't the type to hide it either.

He fell quiet as the man struggled his way through the words, just listening with soft nods here and there. "...I kinda get that, yeah..." He hesitated briefly before continuing. "I kinda ate the bitch, but apparently mine didn't really want me either... Dad always liked to remind me of that..." As casually as he played that revelation off, there was a small part of him deep down inside that was seriously bothered by it. He knew his father had shared the same sentiment, that had never been a secret, but it also wasn't the issue at hand here so there was no point in getting all sad about it. Instead, he nodded softly and offered a little smile. "Get you that whole four squirrels to carry back, yeah?" Sensitivity might not be a skill he possessed, but he was always good for taking a playful cheap shot to get you smiling and laughing. He was kinda like a big golden retriever like that, and just about as hairy as one too.

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

"Well I'm terribly sorry I didn't have the privilege of a DVD player in my bedroom!" Vince laughed. "Seriously though, sorry I can't explain it to you. I wish I could." Not knowing the answer to something he was sure he should have known irritated him more than it should have done. There were things he knew trivia about that just wasn't important. Kind of like DVD players.

He gave Bryce a sympathetic smile and stroked his arm. "Parents, huh? I'd say we're better off without them." He refrained from saying he imagined his own mother would have tasted like shit, but that was a conversation topic for another day. He'd already tipped over one can of emotional worms, he didn't need to overturn another one. "Yes! And I can be the macho provider for the camp for the day." He puffed out his chest, then snorted. "I don't think I'm intimidating enough for that."

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Back from the dead to tell you that I'm alive. Killed the old way but I survived.

"Nah, its alright," Bryce reassured him with a smile. "I'll harass the old timers sometime. One of 'em should know at least something, I figure." As badly as he wanted it explained, he could still accept that Vince simply didn't know, and he knew it wasn't fair to press the issue. Sure, he could be abrasive at the best of times, but that didn't mean he was necessarily a pushy asshole about things, despite what people might think.

He snorted softly at that. "Fuckin' tell me about it," he agreed, rolling his eyes and a hint of it even audible in his voice. The shift away from parents and back to joking was a welcome one, and he expressed it with a soft smile and chuckle. "Oooh! Big manly man!" He couldn't help a full out laugh with that. "You could be plenty intimidating if you wanted to be, I bet! Little guys are always the crazy fucks!" There was clear experience to the words. It always seemed like the smaller guys had a chip on their shoulders or something to prove, and were outright savages when pushed to the limit...

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Vince nodded enthusiastically. "If anybody round here is gonna know, it's one of them. They would have seen everything." He suddenly realised something and almost gasped. "They would know all about twenty-twenty!" He'd heard things had been pretty chaotic that year, and had ultimately lead to the world going to complete shit. He couldn't imagine what it must have been like to live through. Amazing, no doubt; but not in a good way.

"Me hunt food. Make fire. Cook meat." Vince thumped his chest. "Me carry four squirrels. Camp hero." He puffed his head out again and put one of his feet up on a rock, then sighed and grinned. "I'm sure I could be. I-...wait..." He squinted at Bryce. "Are you calling me short? Are you saying I'm small? I will have you know, mister, that I am almost five foot ten inches tall. I'm a fucking giant among men!"

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

"Oh shit! I heard about that!" Bryce all but gasped, strangely excited to actually know something for once. Even if it was a horrifying topic such as 2020. "We had this old dude that camped out with us for a while that lived through that shit. Apparently there was fires in some place... Austria, I think? And then this virus, and riots, and just..." He paused for a second, looking confused. "Do you know what a neo-Nazi is? Cause he kept talking about those, and something to do with a president? Some dude these neo-Nazis killed, maybe? I dunno... I didn't pay attention..." The words came out in a flurry, each one barely formed before he was already halfway through the next, and an astute observer might realize that this was precisely how his brain functioned; at lightening speed.

Laughter came easily at Vince's caveman routine, and only grew more intense with that squinty-eyed look he got. "Yeah?" he asked, casually straightening up with a smirk, shoulders pushing back, to reveal his full stature - something that often went unnoticed with his habit of slouching. "A giant, are ya?" Though he wasn't much taller than Vince, only standing at 6 feet even, there was definitely a noticeable size difference between his barrel-chested, husky physique and that of his more slender, almost delicately built comrade. He knew he didn't have to say any more, simply standing there and watching Vince, a shit-eating grin plastered across his face as he held his head high.

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Vince looked more confused the longer Bryce spoke for. Neo-Nazis? A President killed by them? What the heck? "I have no idea. I just know about the virus that took out, like...a third of the population." He shrugged, making a mental note to ask about the rest though. It sounded like something out of a book. There was no way all that shit happened in one year. "But fires, huh? I guess they were pretty bad if they sprung to mind first." He laughed.

He stayed puffed up till Bryce straightened himself, and he let out a whine and pouted. "Aw, that's not fair." He slumped his shoulders and looked around, then found a pretty flat topped rock, which he trotted over to and jumped on. It gave him a good additional foot's worth of height. "Hah hah! Taller than you!" It was only then that he paused and looked sheepish. "I just realised...we've probably scared everything off..."

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

"Like I said, I wasn't really paying attention, so I dunno for sure... Just know it was a shit show," Bryce admitted with a shrug. "Dude would like... ramble and shit. I didn't really listen to much of what he said. I was like thirteen, and didn't really care about shit like that." If he could go back, he would've paid more attention to what the old guy was saying, but at this point? No sense in regretting something like that.

He couldn't help a chuckle at the whine, which turned into a proper laugh when Vince found the rock and hopped up on it. "Cause you're so damn tall, Vinny! They're scared of ya now!" he teased with a little grin before getting a little more serious for a moment. "We can keep going up Memorial Point if you want? Or head back. Up to you, man." He didn't care too much either way, really, but he knew the Hunters and the food they brought in was essentially the lifeblood of Bosler, so he wasn't about to take Vince away from his job any time soon.

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

"Hmm..." A shit show. Sounded a bit like the last decade or so. That could definitely be described as a shit show, for sure. "Well, it can't be any worse than this bollocks." He gestured around them. Sure, 2020 had been spectacularly crap for everyone who'd lived through it, but he knew there were people around, probably in Bosler, who'd lived through it and seen everything that came after. He wondered what they would consider the worst time period.

"So fucking tall, you have no idea...all I can see are clouds..." He squinted, as though he was peering off into the distance from a great height. He kept the same facial expression as Bryce spoke, and as he replied. "Might be good to see what's up there. We just better keep the shenanigans to a minimum..." It looked like the sun was creeping towards the horizon as well. They'd better make it quick if they really were going to Memorial Point. He looked at Bryce. "I guess...do you wanna go, or...? One buck should be enough for today, right?"

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

"Preachin' to the choir, brother," Bryce chuckled bitterly. He knew he didn't need, nor did he particularly want to get into how much of a shit show life was these days. Being Avarus just... Well, it made it that much worse, but this wasn't the Suffering Olympics.

"Yeah? Maybe look down, huh?" he fired back easily enough, amusement clear in his face and voice. The sudden hesitance gave him pause, and he frowned softly as he eyed the horizon for a moment. "Y'know what... Maybe we should head back, yeah. I'd love an easy night for once, so I kinda wanna get back so I can get first dibs on the food." There was always a mad dash when the Hunters brought out scraps, bone, and blood to the nest, and he was usually too slow to get anything from that. For once he wanted to eat, and then go back inside and actually sleep for a few hours instead of running around like an idiot all night. "We can see if we spot anything worth it on the way back, though. Still gotta get them four squirrels so you can impress all them ladies," he added with a playful grin. Yeah, he knew Vince preferred guys, but it didn't quite roll off the tongue the same way. Plus, it was fun to tease him.