Lurking in the Forest

Started by Vincent Matthews at May 30, 2020 11:04 am
59 Posts

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Slander is worse than cannibalism.

"I actually found some books on that sort of thing a couple years back. Well, I say books...there's about seventeen pages from one and half of another. Not really books anymore..." Vince chuckled. They'd been useful, though, those pages. He at least knew the basics of getting things rigged up. He really wanted to find a library somewhere that hadn't been bombed or burned or ransacked, but he doubted it'd happen. "I'll have to talk to him about it. Batteries are hard to find after all." He was sure he would have something Milo would trade for a couple.

He chuckled and stuffed the canteen back in his bag. "I'll do whatever I want in privacy." He winked. "Alright. I'll be here." He took the opportunity to check the plants he'd been growing beside the shack. He had the smallest little rose bush in a pot, and a rather sat looking coffee plant next to it. He sighed and shook his head, making a mental note to reserve a day or two to look after them properly. When Bryce came back he smiled. "Yessir!" He hitched his bag up a little more and started out again, heading in the direction of Memorial Point.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Back from the dead to tell you that I'm alive. Killed the old way but I survived.

"Pfft! Who needs whole books anyway? They're only good for the pictures!" Bryce laughed, though there was a hint of truth to it. Like a good number of other people in the wastes, he could barely read, often picking out things based on pictures and the few words he recognized, and writing anything other than his own name? Forget about it! "Tell me about it! I think I've seen all of maybe 20 that actually worked in the last few years! Least, Ryan said those were the ones that worked." It was no secret that out of the two, Ryan was the brains and he was the muscle. Sure, he was smart about some things, but if he couldn't fix it with a couple blows or some ductape, he generally didn't bother with it. The fancy theoretical shit like the electricity thing didn't interest him.

The walk up to Memorial Point wasn't a long one distance-wise, but it was uphill for a good portion of it, and some places were pretty steep. "Dunno if the deer are around right now, but if nothing else, there's a whole whack of rabbits and squirrels too," he remarked, keeping his voice low as they drew nearer to the area. "Take down a whole squirrel's family tree if nothing else." When it came to fresh meat, being picky wasn't much of an option these days, and he'd happily bring back pretty well whatever he could.

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Vince laughed. "Personally, I've always wanted to read War and Peace. It was supposed to be a big deal." There were a lot of books he'd heard about that he knew he would never get the chance to read. Some of the biggest influences of the last 4 centuries, to name but a few. "There's nothing wrong with picture books, though. I learned to read thanks to a picture book." He couldn't remember the name of it, but it had been extremely useful. His parents certainly weren't going to help. "Yeah, exactly!" Vince made a fist and punched a tree as they passed it. "I found an entire case full of batteries this one time. Wasn't that long ago, come to think of it..." He had a bad habit of wandering maybe a little further than he should do alone, but he'd been alright so far, so what was the harm? "...but anyway, right, I find this case, and it's chock full of batteries, there are so many batteries, so I drag this fucking case all the way back to camp, only to find out they'd all oxidised, from the top to the bottom. I was so pissed." They were only useful for target practise, in the end.

He looked around them as they walked, nodding when Bryce spoke. "Yeah...I don't mind, though. I can carry more squirrels than deer." Beggars can't be choosers, but he would definitely prefer a nice bit of venison over rabbit or squirrel. Truth be told, if he had a choice, there were a few people in the camp he wouldn't mind nibbling on.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Back from the dead to tell you that I'm alive. Killed the old way but I survived.

"Think Milo reads. Might be able to find that one if you ask him about it... And only 'picture books' I saw as a kid definitely weren't the kinds you learned to read from," he added with a smirk. That was mostly just the by-product of the month or so where he and his father had holed up in an adult store, but his inner 13 year old still quite enjoyed that one... Hearing how the battery anecdote ended earned a sympathetic groan, carefully stepping up and over a fallen log before responding. "Oh man, I would've been so fuckin' pissed! That's worse than the time me and Ry lugged a couple car batteries we found back home, and they were so old they barely put out any power. Good thing I found one'a them tester things not too long ago."

He looked over at Vince for the comment about the squirrels, smirking a little. "What? Gonna carry a whole three squirrels back with them scrawny little arms?" The teasing was quickly followed by a playful squeeze of his upper arm, comparing it to his own. In reality, he knew better than to underestimate the little guys, but teasing Vince was one of his favourite past times so he couldn't help it.

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Vince thought about it for a moment and let out a sound of agreement. "It's worth a shot." If anybody was going to have a copy, it'd be Milo. Or maybe one of the old timers. They had all sorts of things stashed away. He also laughed as Bryce continued, looking at him with a grin. "Like that, huh? Saying that, though, Playboy had more in it than just tits you know." He'd only ever gotten his hands on a Playboy once, and it'd been passed through the group he'd been with for a while before he saw it. Needless to say, most of it was...inaccessible. "Ooooh, I don't know about that! Non-working car batteries would piss me off more. There's always a chance you'll find some gasoline, but less chance of finding a working car." Imagine it; driving. They wouldn't have to work or rely on the horses. And even if it only lasted a little while, being able to sit behind the wheel of a car was something Vince had actually longed for. He'd almost been hit by a few over the years, but he'd never driven one.

Vince flexed his muscles. "I was thinking four." He grunted, as though it was an effort, what he was doing. He chuckled. "I may not be strong but I'm wicked fast, you know." He nodded knowingly. His little legs had gotten him around for forty-four years at varying degrees of speed.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

"Really? Cause I never noticed any words in 'em!" Bryce laughed. "And since you're suddenly the Playboy expert, what was up with those shiny circle things they sometimes glued to the covers?" Even now, he had absolutely no concept of what a DVD was, and it was always something that had absolutely baffled him. Hopefully Vince could shed some light on the issue for him. "Me 'n' Ryan found one that worked once, actually! It was pretty neat, but finding gas was a bitch, yeah... Until I let Ryan try driving it, and he crashed into a big rock almost right away. Dunno how, either. We were in the middle of a field, and there was nothing around for like... a good half mile. We camped out in it for a couple days after that. Gotta say, it was real nice to not be sleeping on the ground or somewhere wet and moldy for once." He let out a soft, wistful sigh. Yeah, the car had been great while it lasted...

"Four?! Okay, now you're just showing off!" he laughed. "I know! I seen you run over when someone..." He trailed off suddenly, pressing a finger to his lips for Vince to be quiet, and then motioned with his head. A doe and her fawns had appeared, stopped to drink from a puddle at the bottom of the hill they were on. In an instant, he had the slingshot out along with a small rock. "Think you can hit her from here?" he whispered. While he knew he was a pretty good shot, he'd never tried to incapacitate a fully grown deer with his slingshot, and he didn't wanna only hurt and subsequently scare her off. The younger ones, on the other hand? Yeah, he could probably take a few of them out...

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Vince had to laugh. "I didn't say I was an expert..." He shook his head, then looked at Bryce. "Shiny circle things? ...oh!" He laughed again. "You mean a DVD?" He only had a basic understanding of DVDs, of course. He knew they held information that got shown to you on a DVD player, but he had no idea how they worked. "It's like...you know what a movie is, right?" He hoped the other did; he didn't much fancy trying to explain the entire motion picture industry to someone who would never experience it. Maybe one of the elders would be able to explain it all with more detail. Better yet, maybe they would have an actual example of a DVD. Or a CD for that matter.

He laughed on hearing that Ryan crashed a car. He wasn't surprised. "I think Ryan just attracts that kind of thing, you know. Like, maybe the universe knew he was driving and decided to throw an actual rock in his way." He could imagine that sort of thing happening. Nothing much surprised him anymore.

Vince frowned when Bryce suddenly quietened. It wasn't common for the other to suddenly just stop talking, but it all made sense moments later. He made a movement to put his bag down, but froze. Something inside him, some deep, deep desire to have been loved by his mother, took over all of his senses. He gently reached a hand out and gripped Bryce's slingshot, but didn't take his eyes off of the little family. He knew that his gesture was futile; that some other hunter was likely to come along and kill them all without so much as a second thought, but he wouldn't be that hunter. Not today. He swallowed, a look on his face that was a mixture of pain and fear. He shook his head once, glanced at Bryce, then took off again without another word.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Bryce raised an eyebrow at that word, DVD. "Uhm? I guess?" He wasn't sure where Vince was going with this in the slightest. "Oh! Yeah! Ryan told me about movies! They're like pictures, but they move and have sound, or something?" He still didn't fully understand what a movie was or how they worked, but he got the general idea anyhow.

"Sounds about right, yeah!" he laughed. "He was doing like... Maybe 15, and managed to totally cave in the front end. Clearly someone out there didn't want him driving!" The memory put a smile on his face, seeing that grubby little face staring up at him with wide, teary eyes. It was just... was precious the right word? Sometimes Ryan was childlike to the point where it almost hurt, and he could never stay mad at his friend. It'd be like being angry at a puppy that you accidentally kicked...

Just as he'd lined up the shot to take out one of the fauns, Vince's hand stopped him, and he simply looked over at the male with a raised eyebrow. The confusion was clear on his face, and only grew when he suddenly took off. He didn't know what to do, shocked really, and simply watched Vince disappear off into the trees. Heavy emotions were something he'd never been good with, and he briefly debated just letting the man go. Then, his sympathetic side kicked in. "Goddamn it, Vince," he growled softly, jamming the slingshot back into his pocket, and took off after him at a lumbering jog. It took a moment to locate his forlorn friend, but he sped up to catch up to him. "The fuck, Vince?" he grumbled, sounding a little winded. "I don't fuckin' run, so you best tell me why the hell I'm chasing your ass through the bush." Sure, he was annoyed, but there was also concern woven into both his face and words. He cared, that much was obvious, but he had a bit of a gruff way of showing it at times...

Vincent Matthews

Vince, Vin, Vinny
36 Posts

Vince gave Bryce the benefit of the doubt and hoped the penny would drop before he had to explain anything else. Lo and behold, it did! He laughed, obviously looking a little relieved. "Yeah. Basically. I mean I don't really know all the tech behind it and stuff, but that's essentially all movies are." Maybe if they were lucky they'd be able to find one, as well as the means to watch it. Oh what a night for the camp that would be! He snorted at the continued story of Ryan driving the car. Poor kid was a hazard. It sounded like it was a good thing they didn't rely on powered equipment so much anymore; he'd hate to see what sort of damage some of the others would make. Not just to Bosler but to everyone in it! Himself included!

He regretted just walking off without a word, but he needed a minute. He stopped when he was sure the deer and her fawns were out of earshot and dropped his bag to the ground, dumping his crossbow on top of it. He ran both hands through his hair and let out a heavy breath. He didn't looked at Bryce right away when he caught up with him. "I dunno man...it didn't feel right..." He stood with his hands still in his hair, looking through the trees but not really seeing them. He was, for some reason, thinking about his fifth birthday...he shook his head and dropped his arms by his sides. "Sorry, Bryce. Guess I'm not a good hunter after all." He laughed, then took his canteen out of his bag.

Bryce Gavagan

28 Posts

Bryce thought about that for a long moment, almost visibly trying to fit the pieces together in his head. "So, are those DVD things like... movies or something?" he asked finally, still confused but trying to work through it. "But why would they.... Ohhhhhhhhhh!" It was a light bulb moment when he finally made the connection between those magazines, movies, and DVDs, and he couldn't help but chuckle at himself softly. "I always thought they were like... frisbees or mirrors or something! But how's it work? They're just like... plastic, or whatever..." He hadn't meant to turn this into a game of 20 questions, but the very idea of a movie contained on a shiny disc fascinated him.

The concern turned to outright confusion when Vince spoke, brows furrowing and frowning. "Ooookay?" He wasn't deliberately trying to be obtuse about any of this. He just genuinely didn't understand what was happening right now. "Its fine? I mean... You're being really weird, but its fine..." Sensitivity wasn't his strong suit, but he'd definitely give it a shot. Lord knows he'd had to more than a few times with Ryan over the years. Vince was still a bit of an enigma to him, but he considered them friends, and thus he would try out this whole "supportive friend" thing if the guy needed it.